Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Down by the sea...

Recently I've been getting into aquascaping/ aquarium keeping, one of my very passionate labors of love has been my 55 gallon aquarium.
Here's where we started

Keeping in mind I didn't know too much about aquariums I hit the wall with a lot of trial and error. Followed by much more error. Cloudy gross muddy tank for 3 days straight, I finally got it clean, then I'd have to move a rock or add substrate, then back to mud city! Boo on that!

Eventually things got stabilized and I threw in whatever living thing I could find, and surprisingly it's been smooth sailing. A few algae blooms here and there but none of these horror stories I've been hearing! Which is most excellent!

Of course, what would an aquarium be without shrimp, and I found these beautiful little yellow neocaridina shrimp on the internet. They're such tenacious little cleaners, and so fun to watch! Friendly too! Whenever I stick my hand in the tank they scurry over and start cleaning my fingers.

There's something amazingly wonderful and satisfying about cultivating something and watching it grow.  Eventually I want to sculpt it more to my liking and make it more of a work of landscaping art rather than just a fish tank but, baby steps. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment